One-on-One Book Mentorship Sessions
In 30- to 60-minute sessions, explore how to:
- Develop custom project plans based on your vision, goals and resources.
- Map out a publishing path (writing, marketing and publishing timeline)
- Develop game-changing book concept and content.
- Nail down your core message, ideal reader and key teaching points.
- Get answers to questions about publishing, writing, editing, and platform development.
- Create a book proposal.
- Write the book and stay the course.
Investment: $2,000/hour with exclusive discounted rates for Top 3 and Heroic Public Speaking alums
Some projects require longer focus than an individual or sporadic, weekly one-on-one time. With your 72-hour in-advance-submission prior to our live, virtual session, you’ll have four hours of direct work on your project with me. We’ll work together for two-and-a-half hours, take a break, and then work a final two-and-a-half hours. Pre-submission is crucial so that we can be targeted on our call.
Complete Developmental Edit
Upon your completed manuscript submission, three 60-minute mentorship sessions include:
- One initial call, one post-evaluation edit, and one final call after author implemented suggested changes.
- Complete manuscript evaluation.
- Detailed editorial letter (written recommendations re: core message, key teaching points, structure, tone, narrative, and accessibility/readability).
- Revised manuscript with line edits (tracked changes and comments).*
- Second review of author’s revised manuscript; additional notes provided, as necessary.
Investment: $40,000 – $60,000
Payment: $10,000 deposit; remaining payments determined by duration of project. As of October 2018, I will no longer be offering this service outside of workshop attendants.
*Note: A line edit is a high-level, first-round edit. It is not a copy edit.
Book Development and Project Management
This service is for authors in the early stages of writing a book. AJ will see you through the process from start to finish.
- Meet to clarify your goals for the book, set up a shared workspace and discuss the year ahead and any time constraints you may have.
- Identify ideal reader, all while developing and outlining a core message, promise of the book, and key teaching points.
- Identify content you will need to gather, such as case studies, data or stories.
- Receive a detailed timeline for writing, publishing and marketing your book.
- You will send me content according to the schedule. I will send you feedback the following week, which will include clarifying questions, suggestions for additional content and notes about tone.
- Upon first draft is completion, receive a “page one” (from start to finish) developmental edit. I will also walk you through the editing process.
- Respond to edits and revise, and then you will send the book out for reader feedback. I will assist you with any necessary final revisions.
- I will oversee the production phase, pulling together your self-publishing team (cover designer, interior page designer/typesetter, copy editor, proofreader) from the pool of publishing industry veterans I have worked with for years. Hiring decisions are up to you, and you will pay team members directly.
- Gain advice about sales and distribution options, helping you get your book to market.
- Obtain and evaluate quotes from trusted printers.
- Meet with me to discuss your platform and marketing plan. I will refer you to you to some of the best experts for implementation.
Payment: $20,000 deposit; remaining payments determined by duration of project (typically 9-12 months).
Currently, 2020 is booked out.